Proposed Research – Demonstrating the Value of High-Performance Buildings
In the approach described in this document, NRC and Association for Smarter Homes & Buildings (ASHB) members are poised to undertake a structured initiative to demonstrate that smart, integrated technologies produce organizational productivity gains in addition to energy and environmental savings. The result will transform the high-performance buildings industry by establishing the built environment as a strategic tool for organizations to achieve their goals.
The project will demonstrate that the identified productivity gains are related to improved indoor environment conditions and that their value is equivalent to other corporate programs. This evidence will accentuate the importance and speed the adoption of these solutions in the high-performance building industry.
This work will build upon the approach described in the 2014 white paper for ASHB and in the World Green Building Council report “Health, Wellbeing and Productivity in Offices.” Using a balanced scorecard of meaningful metrics, we will demonstrate the value equivalents of technology investments in the built environment in three stages:
Phase 1 synthesized existing data to enable decision-makers to benchmark their buildings against others on multiple organizational productivity metrics. Partners will receive guidance concerning how to use this information to make strategic building decisions for their organizations for the benefit of the organization and its employees. You can download Phase 1 documents here:
Download the full Phase 1 report
Phase 1 Project Webinar Recording
Phase 1 Webinar Presentation
Phase 2 will refine the framework from Phase 1 using partner-supplied data to increase the accuracy. Below is the Phase 2 Prospectus.
Data Collection Information
Access to full, completed research is only available to participating funding organizations. The image above shows the logos of the current participating sponsors, all ASHB members.
Funders of the project may participate at one of the levels below, and will receive the benefits through ASHB and NRC associated with the level of contribution.
Bronze Funder ($5K):
• Name and logo will be placed on the front page of the research report, slide deck, media releases, and marketing material.
• Opportunity to participate in the final webinar with all the funders which will highlight the findings of the research in detail.
• Ability to ask the questions to the research analysts.
• Final report, executive summary, presentations.
Silver Funder ($10K):
• All benefits of the Bronze Funder.
• Will have a one (1) hour webinar specifically for their organization and hosted by the National Research Council (NRC). Anyone from the organization may attend to receive an overview of the research findings.
• Will be on the Steering Committee and allowed to: define the research scope and methodology, provide feedback and input regarding the direction of the study, and participate in Steering Committee webinars.
Gold Funder ($15K+):
• All benefits of the Silver Funder.
• Additional custom benefits package established on a case-by-case basis. This could include a case study incorporated within the research to highlight the work their organization has been doing in the area. This case study will be completed by the National Research Council (NRC) as a side project and additional costs may be involved; the cost will depend on the complexity of the proposed case study.
ASHB seeks partners to conduct this important work. For more information on this opportunity, please contact Greg Walker, ASHB Research Director.
ASHB Research Director
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 613.686.1814 x227